Skip to main content

Featured

Dealing with my family’s finances during the pandemic

Photo by Josh Appel on Unsplash Growing up, I considered myself poor. Although we had a roof over our heads, three meals a day, and enough clothes to get by, we could not pay the mortgage, and our school tuition payments were always late. There was also a time when my parents had no jobs, my father had to settle for direct selling. We were one of those in an endless cycle of debt, where the only way to pay one is to borrow from another. My parents were stuck in this habit even after all of us children graduated and had jobs. When I started having money problems of my own and saw how lacking my financial education was, I tried learning how to manage my income. I was lucky enough to have friends who shared their self-help books and taught me some of the basics of saving and investing. But passing this knowledge on to my parents was another mountain to climb, especially when they thought it was none of my business. So started this mission to convince them---it was the only way to protect

Lost in Real Estate

 

Camella Mintal

Hello there! Here I am starting a new website, and since there’s no doubt about my anonymity, I would like to introduce myself first.

My name is Julienne and I have been helping people build websites since 2006. Though not really a writer, I’ve set up my first and personal blog back in the early 2000s when blog rings were still popular. Then with a couple of friends, another site called Folkerie was created in 2012. Recently resurrected from inactivity, Folkerie aimed to share stories on the arts and culture of the common folk.

My world revolved around tech and the arts. Making something with my hands is always a source of joy and achievement. I have majored in math but was never keen on anything related to money and investment. It just wouldn’t stick. So why, then, start a real estate website?

It was also in 2012 when my brother introduced me to real estate. Selling and marketing was (and still is) really not my thing. But what interested me with the business of real estate is its similarity to match making. I liked solving that problem.

There was an opportunity to take the real estate broker’s licensure back then, and since my brother was also studying for his board exam, I took the broker exam instead. Luckily, I passed the test.

For about a year, I tried my hand at selling, but was never successful. If you are not careful, and if you are not wise about who you choose to be your companions and colleagues, the real estate world can be brutal. For that reason, I stopped.

Three years later, a former real estate colleague wanted to start her own realty with me as partner. Davao City has since been at the center of national interest since Duterte became president. It was booming with infrastructure and building projects, and real estate practice was becoming more stable. So, why not?

Since 2017, I have been relearning everything and as with all other things, the learning will never stop. I still consider myself a beginner in real estate and with that state of mind, I hope to share what I discover to fellow beginners–to help enrich and enlighten our readers.

These posts on RealStately will include real estate events, development updates, seminars, and discussions. I would also like to add topics close to my heart such as design, architecture, and sustainability. Of course, questions and suggestions are always welcome–that way we can learn from each other. Just leave a comment below.

-Julienne

Comments

Popular Posts